Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Birth of a Monster!

As I mentioned in a recent post, I edited and released a Nook version of my favorite author's works. Lovecraft: Compendium is doing great and actually selling copies over on the Barnes and Noble platform, and it's gotten me thinking.

Which is never a good thing.

You see, my day job in Evil Corporate World is as an editor and writer. Which, on one hand, is really cool. It means I get paid a good bit of money to do what I love. The downside to that is that I'm often working on things like coporate communications, PR stuff, and business crap. In other words, stuff that sucks the creativity out of my soul and cracks and gnaws at the artistic marrow of my bones.

So, to combat that, I've decided to make a run at expanding beyond my own writing and taking a stab at expanding Doctor Z's plans for world domination. How do I intend to do that? Well, I've taken the steps to start a small, independent media venture.

Dark Autumn Media is the grotesque, alien spawn of my hubris. It'll be the non-D. Allen Crowley branch of Doctor Zombie's media empire.

Maybe.

Hopefully.

I've put together another blog to act as the temporary headquarters until I get around to a real, official-looking website. I also wanted to have a landing spot and place to go for parties interested in the other stuff I'm working on (like the HP Lovecraft project).

It's - like I said - just a shell... so don't go there and be all judgemental.

My immediate plan for Dark Autumn is to:


  • Develop an online 'zine devoted to horror, fantasy, and sci-fi

  • Develop more public domain collections of my favorite authors for the Nook platform

  • Begin collecting stories from other writers for development into eBooks.

  • Document my attempts for the edification or ridicule of others

  • Eventually expand to act as a more traditional publisher.
You'll note the 'Media' part of the Dark Autumn Media title; that's because I want to expand beyond the whole writing and digital publishing as well. I also do video work and editing in my job and have always harbored a desire to do something creative in front of a camera. In fact, the genesis of the Doctor Zombie persona was an homage to the old horror hosts that used to take over the local TV affiliates in the 60's, 70's, and 80's. I've also always wanted Dr. Z's Midnight Theater of Terror to expand into the video blogging sphere. Finally, I've always always always said that I learned video production and shooting for the sole purpose of making my own zombie movies.

I'm hoping to make some or all of that a reality.

Which is where you come in, dear reader!

If you visit the site, you can see that I'm already working on submission guidelines for the first anthology I plan to publish. Although the site's open, submissions are closed.

But they're not for you dear, faithful minions!

If you've ever wanted to try your hand at writing, or have reams of stories tucked away in a closet somewhere.. I'd like to offer my faithful readers the first chance at being included in the first Dark Autumn Media anthology. Please send them to me at my email (you can find it up top, on the right hand sidebar) or through Dark Autumn Media (darkautumnmedia{AT}mail{DOT}com).

I can't promise much, beyond the fact that you'll be part of a collection, be published, and be able to brag to your friends and family. I've learned tons about the digital publishing process with my own books and I'm hoping to utilize that to help other writers out. Like I said, I can't promise much, besides glory!

Wish the good Doctor luck!

Unpleasant dreams!


No comments: