Tuesday, November 01, 2005

On the doorstep to winter...

So, I’m back from the Halloween break. It was a loooonnng weekend. We had a clambake at the house on Saturday, and then a party for the kids on Sunday. There were about 25-30 kids running around our very small century home for about 4 hours. Which, by the way, is about 3 hours past my tolerance level for children hopped up on Hawaiian punch, cookies, cupcakes, and candy. And, of course, last night was Halloween. I sat on my front porch with my buddy Phil and drank large amounts of Guinness. Much fun was had!

Driving in to work today reaffirmed how much I absolutely love autumn. We’ve reached the peak for fall foliage, and the trees are beautiful. It’s unfortunate that fall is the shortest season. I imagine I’m not the first old school goth to wish that everyday was Halloween.

Found a cool link that applies as both a Halloween link and also a Dr. Zombie related link. The people over at How Stuff Works came up with this awesome explanation of Zombies. Check it out.

I also picked up the new Depeche Mode CD over the weekend. I’ve got to say that I’m impressed. You see, I’m the sort of music fan who doesn’t like my bands to mature, or change their sound. Call me what you will, but I like a band for their sound, and if you change your sound in some stupid quest to “evolve” or “grow as a band”, you’re going to piss the good Doctor off. Don’t fuck with a good thing. The new ‘Schmode, though, this is a great album. Instrumentally, it has the sound of Music for the Masses, or Enjoy the Silence. And it’s dark like Music for the Masses or, even better, A Broken Frame. The boys have gone back to the depressing, synthesized music that made me first fall in love with them. Their last two albums have been too much guitar, and too much of an attempt to compete with the 90’s alternative music. They’ve gone back to what they do best and I adore them for it. My only gripe: As they’ve done on more recent albums, too much Dave Gahan and not nearly enough Martin L. Gore. But, beggars can’t be choosers, eh?

Gods! There’ve been some great DVD’s come out in the last few days. Romero’s Land of the Dead and Episode III: Revenge of the Sith primarily. And, I just read that there will be an unrated director’s cut of Zombie’s The Devil’s Reject’s coming at the end of November. Thankfully both x-mas and my birthday will be along soon and I can ask for them then, because god knows Mrs. Zombie won’t let me buy DVD’s right now. You see, November’s a tough month for me to ask to spend household money. That’s because I go hunting twice within a two week period (bow hunting on Veteran’s Day, and shotgun season the first weekend after Thanksgiving.) Both weekends cost a hundred or so bucks – before gas. Add on top of that the fact that I need to buy a deer tag and that I also, somehow, talked the Mrs. into letting me buy a new bumper for my Jeep, The Blue Zombie. Either way, I need to be on my best behavior.

That’s enough for today. Goodnight, dear reader.

No comments: