Wednesday, November 02, 2005

What I want to be when I grow up...

So, I decided that today I was going to post about my plans for this blog, among other things. My ultimate goal is to start my own multimedia company. I want to work primarily on an online zine, a print magazine, and eventually, possibly filming some independent films I’ve written. And that, by the way, is the order in which I’m planning on getting shit done. This blog is mostly an effort to organize my thoughts and a reason to get my lazy ass actually writing on a daily basis.

As far as the online zine (the first priority), my brother Curt is helping me set up the necessary web stuff to get my print and online zine up and going. I hate having to ask for help, but I did it for multiple reasons. The first is that I just don’t have the time or resources to devote to learning HTML, setting up a site, and all the other headaches involved with doing it myself. I will say that I recently picked up a Dummies Book for HTML, but I haven’t cracked it as it fills me with dread. You see, I’m a simple writer (and soon to be editor). I think my energy and time should – properly – be devoted to that and towards getting down the logistics of starting a small publishing company. Also, there’s something to be said for outsourcing the tech jobs. The other reason I’m relying on some other guy is because I, truthfully, am not right-brained enough for the whole computer thing. Sure, I get along fine on a daily basis. I spend 8-10 hours a day on computers and teach people how to point and click. The thing is; once you get beyond the basic usage stuff, I kind of glaze over. Start talking gigabytes, and RAM, and Java Script, and Linux, and I start to kind of drift. I’m like that kid from junior high school who had to take Ritalin because he couldn’t stop yelling like he had Touret’s. More than a minute or two of geeky tech talk makes me zone out like I’ve just taken my daily Ritalin dose from the school nurse. You remember her, right? The with the bad breath and oddly shaped breasts?

So I’m outsourcing. Big fucking deal. At least I didn’t outsource several hundred thousand jobs like that incompetent retard that failed upwards and lives at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. By way of Crawford, Texas. And Florida vote tampering.

Anyway, I digress. What was I saying? Oh yeah…big plans…fame and glory…a quest to rise above mediocrity. You get the picture.

Other random thoughts:
I just came into possession of a new Glock 23 .40 caliber pistol. Actually, I reacquired it. The tale behind my loss of, and subsequent reaquisition of said firearm is, at the very least, a series of ironic idiocies and immense personal irritation to the Doctor. I won't go into it, but suffice it to say I'm not happy with one of my oldest chums as a result of it. Anyway...I originally got rid of the pistol because I a) didn't like the way it shot. I felt accuracy was an issue and I didn't like how the active safety made my finger hurt, b) I had buyer's remorse about the .40 caliber round and decided afterwards that I should have went for the .45, and c) I had the opportunity to buy a Heckler & Koch USP .45 full size and needed the money. Sooo, off went the Glock.

Now, though, having had the opportunity to reacquire the gun, I'm reavaluating my perhaps too hasty decision.

I took it out a few weeks ago and fired a box of rounds through it and, I have to admit, I've fallen in love with the gun. I'm at a loss to explain why I didn't like it in the first place. I found it scary accurate and a pleasure to shoot in comparison to my USP. I'd initially planned on turning around and dumping it, but now find myself reconsidering. The biggest argument for keeping it is concealed carry. It is a light, easily concealable package with mucho aftermarket accessories and a big ass bullet. I can't say the same about the USP. I love the USP, but honestly, its an impractical weapon. The aftermarket support is abyssmally small and inordinately expensive. It's monstrous and hard to conceal. I'm now thinking about dumping the H&K. Gods know I can get a few new toys on trade in. Which leads me to:

Doctor Zombie's armament wish list for the eventual Zombie Armaggedon!
(In no particular order, these are arms I want to round out my collection)
A) Something tactical for TEOTWAWKI
- Mossberg Special Purpose 500 - with a tactical stock, and at least an 8 shot magazine. Why? Because it's cheap, easily modified, and nothing beats 00 buck at 15 feet!
- AK47 - The all purpose military weapon of choice of every bad guy and commie in the world. It's the most popular gun in the world for a reason. Besides, who wouldn't have fun rocking and rolling semi-automatically with a 30 round magazine of 7.62?
- Ruger Mini-14 - Although the .223 is really just a squirrel round on steroids, this is still a fun gun for plinking. A bit spendy, but still heavily accessorizable.
- H&K MP5 - Hey, it's a wish list, right? Why not wish for a full auto, mondo expensive tactical gun? Bah - - I'd probably never use it. And it probably wouldn't be as funas the others...
B) Practical for hunting
- Remington 760 - chambered in 30.06. In my opinion, the best deal out there for a reliable, accurate weapon. It comes with a synthetic stock, optics, and a bolt design patterned after Remington's incomparable model 700 action. All for under $350.
- Winchester Model 14 .357 carbine. In lever action. My dad's best friend has one of these and this is just a balls out fun plinking gun. And the .357 is a helluva round. I covet this gun.
C) Handguns (Because woman buy lots of shoes, men should be allowed to buy lots of guns!)
- Springfield XD-9. I love this gun. Everything about it appeals to me. I'll get one someday.
- Springfield Ultracompact 1911 - Because I'm beginning to think that every man should own at least one variant of this time tested pistol design.
- H&K P2000 - The answer to my too big USP .45. This gun makes me drool...

Anyway, I plan on testing the Glock some more. I'll post more about it later...

No comments: