Monday, January 02, 2006

After Contracting Some Ebola-like Monkey Virus...

So, I’ve been REALLY lax in updating lately. It’s, obviously, been crazy with the holidays. Add on top of that the fact that I got bronchitis, an ear infection, and a sinus infection; and you’ll understand my lethargy.

On the loot end of things, I scored a hefty amount of it for Xmas. It was a good year. I managed to get most of what I wanted, and a few extra things that I didn’t and were a pleasant surprise. Alas, no Harley. But that’s all right. I’m just biding my time on that little purchase. Maybe this summer… The one thing I didn’t get that I really wanted, and I even got a brochure of it for Mrs. Zombie, was a Utilikilt. Gods, how I want one of these. I’ll probably just end up buying it for myself, and hopefully before St. Patty’s day. Oh, one of the best gifts I got was from my brother, Richie. He bought me the Collector’s gift pack of the Universal Studios Legacy DVD’s. It’s Dracula 1931, Frankenstein 1931, and The Wolf Man 1941. It also included some nifty little statuettes that look great on my shelf. Each DVD also has all of the subsequent Universal sequels to each classic film. Things like the Bride of Frankenstien, The Return of Dracula, Frankenstein meets the Wolfman, etc. I’m giddy with joy at this. And the best part is that I can now introduce Zombie Boy and Zombie Girl to the movies that I grew up on. At 7 years old and 5 years old, respectively, it’s definitely time to start their horror movie education.

So I started a new novel. Finally. I’ve been so out of it lately, and I needed to get back into writing seriously. I think this blog has helped that. Add to that the fact that I’m returning to school this spring and I’m finally feeling like I can get back into doing what it is that I love the most. The story has taken on a life of it’s own and I’m finding that it wants to write itself. This is a good thing. My first novel was like that – the voices in my head screamed and screamed and I just wrote what they said. It’s almost like not working, and that’s how the whole writing process should be. I’m so excited about this. In terms of the story, it’s an expansion of a horror/sci-fi story I wrote a few years back. The end kind of went nowhere, so I left it on the back burner. However, I’ve lately been so absorbed with the idea of survival fiction. Whether it’s the Zombie Apocalypse, Alien Invasion, or even Stephen King’s The Stand; I’ve been fixated on the whole idea of the downfall of society and the eventual hunting of people by the evil that’s left. I’ve immersed myself in Deadlogs (LiveJournals, Blogs, etc.) of the zombie apocalypse, The Living Dead movies, and other mediums that describe TEOTWAWKI. I even wrote a short story that was published over at Home Page of the Dead, hoping that would exorcise the demons. Obviously, it didn’t work. But that’s great because I’ve started a new novel based on my current fascination. Watch for updates.

Other Updates: My New Years Resolution (besides continuing to lose weight – NOBODY likes a fat Dr. Zombie!) is to get moving on my multimedia company. I will begin working on the online zine within the next month or so, and then quickly follow up with the first print version. I’m looking at a release date of October 31 (of course!). Finally, I’ll be doing everything I can to get the equipment and funding necessary to begin filming an independent film I wrote this summer. Watch within the next month for me to begin a separate blog detailing the pains I’ll be going through to get that done. Also watch for the Paypal link attached to that site if my few (if any!) readers would like to throw a few galactic credits my way towards the cause. Who knows, maybe I’ll cast you or give you a credit somewhere. I can promise no money or recompense, other than glory, infamy, and notoriety. That’s cool, right?

In that same vein, I’ll probably use Google Ad Sense on the other blog. I’m loathe to do it on this Blog because that’s really sort of whorish to my mind. Besides, with all the railing I do against religion here, the Ad Sense filters would just pick up on the word ‘Christian’ and my ads would all be for bibles, crosses, and Amy Grant Cd’s. Besides making me a whore, that’d be kind of against the whole purpose of what I do here, huh?

One final thing before I shamble into the darkness. I saw the BEST movie last night! I’d read about it on a blog I frequent written by a cat that calls himself Mad Ogre. Funny thing, that. Ogre is a conservative, Republican, Mormon who posts from out of the Uintah Basin in Utah. He is the exact opposite of everything the Evil Doctor is. The thing is he’s still a guy I’d like to sit down and have a few frothy pints of Irish Stout with. He writes about movies, guns, politics, and all kinds of other things. I found him when I was doing a search on a Taurus PT-111 Millennium 9mm a few years back and he’s become a daily check for me. Besides his rabid anti-Liberal ravings, I respect the guy and I suspect we might have been friends had we ever met. Wishful thinking? Maybe. Either way, I like the guy. Anyway, I digress. For years, he’s raved about this movie called Equilibrium. It stars Christian Bale, Sean Bean, and Taye Diggs. I actually tracked down a copy last night and all I can say is, “Holy, Fuck!!” This is one of the coolest damn sci-fi flicks I have ever, ever seen! Christian Bale plays this sort of cop/priest called a Grammaton Cleric. His job is to destroy things that make people feel (art, music, and aesthetics) and kill those who seek out feelings and emotions. The idea works and is brought beautifully to life by the director and actors. And the action scenes! Gods! The Grammaton Clerics practice a highly specialized martial art called Gun Katas. It makes the gun an actual hand to hand weapon and makes the clerics almost Jedi like with their ability to use guns. And the choreography supports this. I’d heard comparisons of this movie to the Matrix in terms of coolness. I’m always leery of this sort of comparison, as it smacks of alternative marketing (Our movie is JUST like the Matrix! Rent it! Really, we just went direct to video because we wanted to. We’re like the Matrix! Really! Please? Pretty please?) This movie though, lives up to the hype – believe me!

If you are one of my true Undead Minions, you must go rent or buy this movie. You will not be disappointed.

That’s all for now as I want to get at least two chapters of the novel written tonight. Happy New Year – may it be filled with dread and gore for all those upon whom you prey!

No comments: