Monday, January 30, 2006

A Rant about the Middle East...

Just some quick updates as I was away from my computer at a conference for work last week. Whew! What a week!

Anyway, just some random thoughts…

Hamas winning control of the Palestinian Parliament. Isn’t it interesting that I saw Condi Rice on CNN today declaring that the US won’t, under any circumstances, deal with the new Palestinian Government. Bush said much the same thing at a cabinet meeting today. Amusing how we hold ourselves up as the paragons of democracy, and feel it necessary to bring our way of life to the rest of the world. But, when the Bush administration DOESN’T get its way, doesn’t get the leaders THEY hand picked, it’s time to sing a different tune. I can hear the gasping and sputtering at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue over here in Cleveland. “What! Gasp! They’ve elected officials we didn’t approve?!? This nonsense would never fly in Iraq, or Afghanistan! Well, who cares if they are duly and legitimately elected members of a foreign government! They’re not our puppet politicians! They’re not our stooges! Democracy, Shmerocracy! This won’t do at all! At least we won’t have this problem when we invade Iran and rename it East Texas!”

The whole argument here is that Hamas is terrorists. And, to some extent, that’s true. But I will admit some bias here on my part. I look at the Palestinian people and don’t see suicide bombers, martyr videos, or wacky Islamic fundamentalists. I see a people who were displaced by a bunch of close-minded white guys in Europe and America who felt that they needed to somehow make amends for not catching on to Hitler and Goerring’s Final Solution earlier. The aftermath of World War II, added to the decisive victory of the Israelis during the Seven Day War, gave them a mandate. (Hmmm. Now who else had a ‘mandate’? I know I just heard that from some politician? Hmmm… A ‘mandate’ to continue a war of aggression. If I think about it, I’m sure it’ll come to mind…{cough,cough}George Bush{cough,cough}) It was this arrogant act of colonialism that put in place an opportunity for an oppressed people (the Jews) to become the oppressors (Arabs).

I know this will put me on some terrorist watch list, but I really think there is a fine line between terrorism and freedom fighting. Now let me backtrack a little here. It is NEVER right, in ANY circumstance, to strap a couple of pounds of plastique to your chest and walk into a crowded marketplace. That is terrorism, no doubt about it. But I think it’s important to look at the causes of such behavior. It’s important to ask where such rage and hate and disregard for one’s fellow man comes from. And I firmly believe that it comes from the oppresion of the Palestinian people by the Israelis. As I said, I have a bias here; and that bias has to do with my own heritage. You see, I’m Irish. And, the situation in Israel reminds me, in no small way, of the conflict in North Ireland. You have a minority, in a position of power, who are oppressing another portion of the populace. Whether it’s Israel, North Ireland, or even South African Apartheid in the 80’s - -it’s an abuse of power that is institutionalized and made possible by the last vestiges of colonialism; a doctrine that still hangs on in certain parts of the world despite the fact that it should have been made illegal at the end of the Victorian era.

And here we have King George, all angry and indignant because democracy - the one thing he says he holds most sacred – actually worked. On top of that, add the fact that even though it was legitimate and shows that Democracy does work, he has to have a pout and sulk because it wasn’t what he wanted. Unbelievable. If I were president, we’d cut the strings and very plainly and vocally let the world know that Israel was on it’s own. Besides probably helping our image in the Middle East as allies to the “evil Zionist state”, it would force Israel to continue it’s oppression of women and children; only without the tacit approval of the most powerful country in the world. If Israel was ALONE, looking across the vast, coffee-colored Middle Eastern desert at several million angry, dark, and bloodthirsty Arab eyes; it’d work its shit out real quick. Sort of like the mouthy bully who knows that his bigger brother is standing behind him, Israel can be cocky and selfassured. Lose the brother though, and look out! Someone’s getting a beating! But, that’s why I ain’t in charge!

Meh, what’s it matter when all is said and done. It’s all tied to the money anyway. The US has a vested interest in having a foothold in the Middle East (not so important now, but it was before we made Iraq and Afghanistan the 51st and 52nd states, respectively) and we’re in too deep. I expect a mushroom cloud somewhere in the vicinity of the holy city some time within the next decade. Mark my words….

On to two other quick links (if you’re still reading…)!

I saw this one and it creeped me out! Go back through my archives and you’ll notice back around Halloween 2005 I made a list of things that scare the hell out of me. Bigfoot is at the top of that list. This link shows a cleanup of the famous Patterson Sasquatch film, taking out all of the camera shakes. Creepy, but cool also…

Then I saw this Blog. It was so funny I laughed out loud, causing people around me at work to look at me like I was insane. I get that a lot. The funny part is that, at any given time, my kids are running around the house and randomly breaking out into Wookiee at one another. It comes from having a Star Wars geek for a father…

No comments: